Sunday, September 19, 2010

Egg Retrieval!

Back from the egg retrieval! First, Rye and I got to the fertility center about an hour before our surgery time for check in. When we got there, they told me to take my zofran tablet (to prevent nausea from the anesthesia) and they called us into the surgery center to prep. I had been advised not to eat or drink anything 8 hours before the surgery, and I did not sleep at all last night so I was tired and anxious, but the wonderful nursing staff was so patient  and comforting that I felt at ease as soon as they pulled us back to the prep room. They had me change into a hospital gown, socks, and a hair net thing (which Ryan laughed at, of course). Then, they sat me in a massage chair to wait for the Anesthesiologist to come in and start my IV. After that was done, Rye and I sat there for a little bit (playing air ping pong which is waaaay entertaining when you're a little loopy from no food and no sleep) and then they sent Rye to provide his "sample". When I got into the actual operating room, the had me lay on the table, and they noticed that my IV had pulled out (probably from my winning backhand swing during our air ping pong game... oops) so they tried to re insert the IV, but after 3 tries they gave up and decided to use the gas stuff first so that I wouldn't have to sit through so many needle pokes. I took about 6 deep breaths and I was out! In no time at all, I woke up in a recovery room with an oxygen mask. I was shivering pretty bad so they wrapped me up in a big warm inflatable blanket, so when Rye came in, he laughed at me and took another picture.
So the results: out of the 28-30 follicles that had been growing, we got 45 eggs! Even the nurse said that was a really high number so we are really excited at our chances of having enough mature eggs. That also brings a higher risk for OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome) where my body starts to retain fluid around my ovaries and is potentially fatal. But we were told to keep an eye on my weight (weight gain of more than 2 lbs per day is a warning sign) and drink lots of water to help prevent this.  The embryologist is going to be calling us everyday to give us an update on our embryos and we are expecting the transfer to be on either wednesday or friday this week.

I'm feeling really really sore and bloated, but overall the experience was not that traumatic. We are so lucky to have such an attentive and caring staff at the San Diego Fertility Center. They said in the next couple days, I'll probably feel worse before I feel better, but it's totally worth it to know that there's a real good chance I'm going to be a mommy soon. I'm going to give my acupuncturist a call tomorrow to see if she can fit me in because it was recommended to us to relieve some of the bloating and pain.

So excited! I'll give quick updates over the next couple days about how our little embryos are doing.
We have our blood pregnancy test on October 5th so ::fingerscrossed:: for us  :) 

We are one step closer to being parents!

4 comments:

  1. OMG Mindy, how exciting. Crossing my fingers for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mindy,

    I represent the San Diego Fertility Center and noticed you mentioned us in your post about egg retrieval.

    I was hoping you could link the mention of the San Diego Fertility Center on that page to
    http://www.sdfertility.com, as that would help your readers find more information.

    Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope you have a fantastic day.


    --
    Asher Weinstein

    ReplyDelete