Monday, September 13, 2010

Growth Update and Acupuncture

First, I really gotta say that my absolute favorite thing about going to a Fertility Center instead of a regular doctor is the husbands. There's always some dude avoiding eye contact with everyone because the plastic bag he's clutching contains a tupperware of his "sample". Rye even thinks it's funny how embarassed these guys are... when Rye had to "produce a sample" he came practically skipping in holding the little cup over his head like the olympic torch! I'm honestly surprised he didn't have the olympic theme music playing on his blackberry.
So... monitoring appointment. This time, Rye waited in the exam room while I had my blood drawn. We got to see one of our regular people for the ultrasound (the same lady who laughed at us for like 10 minutes a couple weeks ago when Rye had said that we wouldn't need to freeze any sperm... because he is "full of sperm".. LOL) I was really hoping for like 6-8 good size follicles. I drank lots of water, and I tried not to stress, and apparently it worked REALLY well because I have 11 follicles in my left ovary and 17 in my right! That's 28 potentially egg-bearing follicles! Holy crap! I was feeling really achy and bloated, and I thought maybe it was all in my head, but no... I have almost 30 pebble sized follicles in me. No wonder I'm not feeling normal. And it's the most frustrating thing to feel this bloated and un-sexy as a result of the same medication that's making me both super turned on and batshit crazy simultaneously. Poor Ryan... poor IVF husbands all over the world!

I also had my first Acupuncture treatment this morning. It was so relaxing. First the lady talked to me about what she's going to do for about 15 minutes, and then she had me undress and lay across this table with towels to drape over me. When she came back in, she placed the needles in my legs, arms, stomach and my ear (which were completely painless...in fact I instantly relaxed after she put one in my hand) and then talked me through a guided meditation while she lit a charcoal thing and wafted it over the needles. It was wonderful! I laid there with some soft yoga-like music for what seemed like days, and then she finished by giving me a little massage and a CD of IVF specific guided meditations to take home. The wierdest thing that happened was when she placed the needles in my stomach(see the pic), I felt this really strong heat around where my ovaries are... freaked me out a little bit. When I got up, I definitely felt heavier in the middle and I'm a little more achy now but she said it was from the increase in blood flow to the area.  I have another growth check on Wednesday, and Rye is going to be out of town for work so I think my Mother-in-law is going with me. Looks like I'll be triggering sometime this weekend, and going in for the egg retrieval early next week. So excited!

One day closer to mommyhood!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great Mindy! I'm so hopeful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I' glad that you enjoyed the acupuncture treatment, and see it in a good way. Some people have issues about it because it's beyond their tolerance, but maybe it depends on who handles the treatment. It is imperative to entrust this kind of health treatment only to people who have enough experience and a good reputation. That's why I advice those people who plan on trying acupuncture to carefully choose a doctor or therapist. In addition, do some research before undergoing any treatments.

    Mittag Holistic Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete